The Eleventh Conference on Syntax, Phonology and Language Analysis
Phonology and phonetics: their relations and demarcations
The Phonology and phonetics: their relations and demarcation session, organized in celebration of the 50th anniversary of The Sound Pattern of English, will look into the nature of the relationship between phonetics and phonology and the status of phonetics in the grammar, including the following questions:
- Is there universal phonetics or is phonetics language-specific?
- How to bridge the gap between the discrete and the continuous?
- Do phonological categories have phonetic substance?
- What is the nature of the phonetics-phonology interface?
- Is phonetics about computation or interpretation?
- To what extent phonology determines phonetics?
- To what extent phonetics determines phonology?